Whether you are using your left over rice or starting from scratch, this simple rice salad is great the day of preparation or as a left over for later in the week.
- 3 Cups cooked rice (a combination of brown and wild rice is delicious)
- 1 Cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced green or red bell peppers
- 1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup cold pressed olive oil
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- Choose one or two of the following herbs: 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, basil, marjoram and dill.
- Salt and pepper to taste (bested added to completed salad, and adjusted at time of serving.)
Place the cooked rice in a large bowl and add chopped vegetables and blend. Whisk dressing ingredients together and then add to salad blend, blend together and then salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until well chilled, stirring occasionally so that the dressing flavors the rice. When ready to serve, garnish with tomato wedges and cucumber slices.
Other Serving options and accompaniments:
- Steam the vegetables lightly, until tender but still firm
- Add dried currants or cranberries, toasted pine nuts or almonds
- A sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan or feta cheese on the top
- Stuff a tomato shell or a pepper half with rice mixture topped with feta and bake it for a winter time lunch or dinner
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with fresh tomato, cucumber and sliced fresh mushrooms