By Dr. Suzette Lanzarotta
With our busy lifestyles and poor eating habits, the colon cleanse protocol should be performed at least one time per year. It is designed to be a gentle cleansing and reasonably non invasive. For those with severe illness or chronic health issues, or if you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulitis or other bowel disorders, no cleansing procedure should be done with out the supervision of a doctor who is familiar with your case. The goal of a cleanse is to:
- Remove and “scour” old debris from the intestinal wall.
- Draw stored toxins out of the cells and efficiently eliminate them.
- Reduce and eliminate mucus.
- Restore normal bowel environment.
- Find a good cleanse product that should contains these key elements
- Scouring agent: Souring is accomplished with the use of both soluble and non-soluble fiber, including: Psyllium seed (seed and husk), Rice bran, Oat bran, Cellulose, and vegetable and fruit fiber.
- Drawing agents: Apple pectin, Bentonite clay, slippery elm bark
- Reduce or eliminate mucus: Echinacea, goldenseal, garlic, and yarrow.
- Bowel Stimulants: Cascara sagrada, buckthorn, yellow dock, and licorice root.
Normal bowel flora can be introduced by taking a Probiotic. This is a formula combination of various “adopholis” cultures and may include FOS (fructooligosaccarides) which is a lactic flora growth accelerator.
Take as directed blended in 8 ounces of water or juice, stir, and take immediately. Do this process for at least 2 weeks and then reduce to one time per day for the next 2 weeks.
Follow the cocktail with another 8 ounces of water. Be sure to drink at least 6 glasses of water through out the day.
Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Warning: do not use a product with cascara sagrada daily for extended periods of time. This product can be habit forming and your bowels will get lazy.